Button Up Shirt Class (Advanced - Sewing)
Sunday November 5, 12, 19, 26, and December 3, 2023 5:00 pm to 7:30 pm
Ready to level up your sewing skills? Join our button up shirt class, where you will dive into the art of crafting the perfect button-up shirt. With two patterns to choose from you will create a wardrobe staple that's uniquely yours!
This is a five session class. Please make sure you can attend all sessions.
- how to operate a sewing machine without assistance
- familiarity with sewing garments and how to read a pattern
- comfortable sewing with trickier fabrics (slippery, thick, etc.)
- experience with minor fitting and alterations (i.e. lengthening a pattern)
You will learn how to:
- sew in set in sleeves
- sew a collar with a stand
- sew a cuff with a placket
- sew a button placket with buttonholes
- make some fitting adjustments
You will need:
- tracing paper
Light to medium weight woven fabrics with no stretch. Linen, cotton (lawn, poplin, voile, batiste, seersucker, shirting, chambray, quilting cotton, flannel), wool, hemp, rayon/viscose challis or poplin, and Tencel will work well. Structured fabric will have more dramatic volume and drapier fabrics will have more fluid movement. For beginner sewists, we recommend using lightweight cotton. Please DO NOT pick a plaid fabric. (you can find what we have available here)
- please see pattern for how much fabric is needed - Stop by the store and a staff member can help you if you have any questions.
- Matching thread
- Buttons - as indicated in the pattern
- Woven Fusible Interfacing - as indicated in the pattern
We will provide:
- a copy of the pattern
- any sewing tools needed
- a sewing machine to use in class
A list of our class policies can be found here.
Minimum registration is 3. Maximum is 5.
This class is being taught by Catherine.