Are you ready to take your serging skills to the next level? This class will teach you to use your serger to construct a simple sweatshirt with ribbed cuffs and bottom band. The focus of this class is learning serger techniques, and students should have a basic understanding of garment construction.
This class with use the unisex Laurent pattern by Jalie (up to Chest 52", hips 48 7/8"). If you fall outside of the pattern measurements, please contact us so we can arrange a suitable substitute. You can view the pattern here: https://fabricationsottawa.com/products/laurent-t-shirt-pullover-hoodie-2yrs-2xl?_pos=1&_sid=d28c69e7f&_ss=r (the pattern is included in the class fee - you do not need to purchase it).
- Serger Basics 1.0 OR
- you are able to operate your serger without assistance (you can confidently thread your machine and troubleshoot issues).
You will learn:
- how to use your serger to construct a garment including setting in a sleeve and serging a curve
- how to calculate the neckband and cuff measurements
- how to evenly serge a neckband and cuffs
- how to topstitch with the coverstitch (time permitting)
You will need:
- the pattern traced in your size before the start of class
- main fabric suitable for a sweatshirt with at least 15% stretch (fleece or French Terry) up to 3m depending on size
- ribbing for bands up to 0.75m depending on size
- 4 spools of matching serger thread (All fabric and ribbing can be purchased at the store)
DO NOT CUT YOUR FABRIC BEFORE THE START OF CLASS.
Will be provided:
- printed copy of the pattern
The studio has ONE serger available for students.
SERGER NOT INCLUDED
- if you are bringing your OWN serger, please select the ticket type 'Bring your own serger'
- if you need to borrow the one serger we have, please select the ticket type 'Borrow our serger'
WE CANNOT AND DO NOT GUARANTEE that there will be a serger available for you to use if you do not select the appropriate ticket type.
A list of our class policies can be found here: https://fabricationsottawa.com/pages/class-policies
Minimum registration is 3. Maximum is 5.
This class is being taught by: Katy
You'll recognize Katy from our online YouTube sew along videos. She loves to teach a little bit of everything!