Are you ready to take your serging skills to the next level? This class will teach you to use your serger to construct a comfortable sweatshirt (A) or tunic/sweater dress (B) with a chunky wrap funnel neck and optional kangaroo pocket. The garment is finished with a hem band. Choice of long sleeves with cuffs or short hemmed sleeves. The focus of this class is learning serger techniques, and students should have a basic understanding of garment construction.
Construction of this garment includes optional topstitching that can be done with a coverstitch machine. If you have a coverstitch, you are welcome to bring it to class along with your serger. If you do not have a coverstitch, we will take turns using the one at the store. You will need to provide your own matching thread. Please ensure that your fabirc is prewashed before the start of class.
You can view the pattern here (the pattern is included in the class fee - you do not need to purchase it). If you fall out of the size range for this pattern, please contact us as we can provide a suitable alternative.
- Serger Basics 1.0 OR
- you are able to operate your serger without assistance (you can confidently thread your machine and troubleshoot tension issues).
You will learn:
- how to use your serger to construct a garment including setting in a sleeve and serging a curve
- how to calculate the neckband and cuff measurements
- how to evenly serge a neckband and cuffs
- how to topstitch with the coverstitch
You will need:
- tracing paper
- main fabric suitable for a sweatshirt with at least 15% stretch (fleece or French Terry) up to 3m depending on size (please wash your fabric prior to the first class)
- ribbing or cotton spandex jersey for bands up to 0.75m depending on size
- 4 spools of matching serger thread (All fabric and ribbing can be purchased at the store)
Will be provided:
- printed copy of the pattern
The studio has ONE serger available for students.
SERGER NOT INCLUDED
- if you are bringing your OWN serger, please select the ticket type 'Bring your own serger'
- if you need to borrow the one serger we have, please select the ticket type 'Borrow our serger'
WE CANNOT AND DO NOT GUARANTEE that there will be a serger available for you to use if you do not select the appropriate ticket type.
A list of our class policies can be found here.
Minimum registration is 3. Maximum is 5.
This class is being taught by: Katy
You'll recognize Katy from our online YouTube sew along videos. She loves to teach a little bit of everything!