Blackwood Cardigan Class (Advanced Beginner - Sewing)
Thursday November 9, 16, 23, and 30 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm
The Blackwood Cardigan is a cozy and versatile addition to your wardrobe. Designed with layering in mind, it has minimal excess fabric in the front and a close fit around the neck and shoulders. Its fitted shape and extra long sleeves make it perfect for wearing under jackets and vests, while also looking stylish over tank tops and dresses. View B ends at the hips, while View A extends down to the mid-thigh and includes patch pockets at hand level. The Blackwood is intended to be worn open and is not designed to close at the front.
This is a four session class. Please make sure you can attend all sessions.
You can see the Blackwood Cardigan pattern here. (You do not need to purchase the pattern as it is included in the class fee)
- experience successfully completing several sewing projects; this class will not cover basic sewing machine operation such as threading a needle, switching needles, how to adjust stitch length, locking stitches, reverse stitching, pivoting corners, winding bobbins etc.
- familiarity with using a sewing pattern, measuring oneself and picking a size
You will learn how to:
- take your measurements and pick the correct pattern size
- follow a pattern
- sew knit fabric on a sewing machine
- sew a set in knit sleeve
- sew knit bands
- sew patch pockets on a knit
You will need:
- tracing paper
Light to medium weight knit fabrics with at least 40% stretch widthwise and 20% stretch lengthwise. Try a cozy sweater knit or french terry for a warm layer or make it in jersey for a lightweight cover-up. (you can find what we have available here)
- 56" w - 1.5m to 2.7m depending on size and view
- Matching thread
We will provide:
- a copy of the pattern
- any sewing tools needed
- a sewing machine to use in class
A list of our class policies can be found here.
Minimum registration is 3. Maximum is 5.
This class is being taught by Michelle.