Here you will find a list and description of all of our current Special Interest (Naptime, and Serger) classes. Scroll down to see all the options and when you see the one you want to take follow the Book Now link to be taken to our Booking site to reserve your spot.
The following prerequisites and Class policies apply to all Special Interest Classes. Please familiarize yourself with them. Please refer to each class below for a list of supplies.
Prerequisites for Naptime Classes:
- basic sewing machine experience
- Non-mobile babies are welcome to attend with their parent.
- All fabric and supplies can be purchased in store or provided by yourself. It is recommended that all fabric be wash prior to the class date.
- Minimum registration is 3 students. Maximum is 5.
Prerequisites for Serger Classes:
- Sewing Machine Basics or equivalent
- Minimum registration is 3 students. Maximum is 4.
Space in our classes is limited, therefore in order to reserve your seat, a 100% non-refundable deposit is required. You may register for a class in person, online, or over the phone (613-854-9091) with a credit card.
There are no refunds for classes. Please note that we reserve the right to postpone and reschedule a class because of unforeseen circumstances. We will make every effort to contact our students to inform them that a class has been cancelled and arrange makeup classes.
Please refer to our Class Policies for more information before scheduling a class.
Special Interest (Guest Teachers, Naptime, and Serger) Classes
Fabrications Family Holiday Gift Swap!
- make a gift to exchange with another Fabricationer,
- it should be made by you,
- using supplies from your stash, and
- if you need to get notions you can spend no more than $5
We will again be hosting an auction of our older store samples, and we will also have a 50/50 draw! Half of the proceeds from the draw will go to the Parkdale Food Centre, and half will go to the winner in the form of store credit!!!! OMG!!!!
This year, we will again be supporting the Parkdale Food Centre. They are facing a large operating deficit and need to raise a LOT of money by the end of the year. Let's give back and help our neighbours have enough food for the holidays and everyday!
Serger Basics 1
Do you have a love hate relationship with your serger? Are you too afraid to use it? Maybe you just can’t figure out how to get started.
Do you want to rent the store serger to use outside of class hours?
If so, our beginner serger class will teach you the basics of serger use including the following techniques:
- Threading the machine.
- The purpose of 3 or 4 threads and how to convert to a rolled hem.
- How to sew inside and outside curves.
- How to make gathers with the differential feed.
- How to finish a hem and make a neck binding (time permitting)
- How to use the Coverstitch machine (time permitting)
**The studio has two sergers available for students, and this class is required for renting the serger by the hour in store.**
****If you want to use one of our sergers during the class, please select the appropriate ticket when checking out. We CAN NOT and DO NOT guarantee that we will have one available for use during class if you do not select the 'Borrow our Serger' ticket.*****
The class fee includes a Sewing Club card which entitles the holder to 10 prepaid hours in our sewing studio (a $65 dollar value). At the end of the class, students will be given a 'Serger Certified' card that entitles them to use the store sergers during studio rental time.
- Serger and instruction manual
- 4 different coloured spools of thread
- Fabric for practicing