Special Interest Classes
Here you will find a list and description of all of our current Special Interest (Guest Teacher, Naptime, and Serger) classes. Scroll down to see all the options and when you see the one you want to take follow the Book Now link to be taken to our Booking site to reserve your spot.
The following prerequisites and Class policies apply to all Special Interest Classes. Please familiarize yourself with them. Please refer to each class below for a list of supplies.
Prerequisites for Naptime Classes:
- basic sewing machine experience
- Non-mobile babies are welcome to attend with their parent.
- All fabric and supplies can be purchased in store or provided by yourself. It is recommended that all fabric be wash prior to the class date.
- Minimum registration is 3 students. Maximum is 4.
Prerequisites for Serger Classes:
- Sewing Machine Basics or equivalent
- Minimum registration is 3 students. Maximum is 5.
Space in our classes is limited, therefore in order to reserve your seat, a 100% non-refundable deposit is required. You may register for a class in person, online, or over the phone (613-854-9091) with a credit card.
There are no refunds for classes. Please note that we reserve the right to postpone and reschedule a class because of unforeseen circumstances. We will make every effort to contact our students to inform them that a class has been cancelled and arrange makeup classes.
Please refer to our Class Policies for more information before scheduling a class.
Special Interest (Guest Teachers, Naptime, and Serger) Classes
Do you have a love hate relationship with your serger? Are you too afraid to use it? Maybe you just can’t figure out how to get started.
If so, our beginner serger class will teach you the basics of serger use including the following techniques:
- Threading the machine.
- The purpose of 3 or 4 threads and how to convert to a rolled hem.
- How to sew inside and outside curves.
- How to make gathers with the differential feed.
- How to finish a hem and make a neck binding (time permitting)
- How to use the Coverstitch machine (time permitting)
****If you want to use our one serger during the class, please select the appropriate ticket when checking out. We CAN NOT and DO NOT guarantee that we will have one available for use during class if you do not select the 'Borrow our Serger' ticket.*****
The class fee includes the Serger 101: A Field Guide textbook (a $32.95 value).
Supply List (not included with the class fee):
- Serger and instruction manual (if applicable)
- 4 different coloured spools of thread
- Notebook and pen/pencil
- Woven & knit fabric for practising (scrap fabric will work!)
Click here to sign up: Sept. 16, 2022 $95 plus HST - Full but you can join the waitlist
Hallowe'en DIY Costume Lecture
Do you want to make Hallowe'en Costumes but are not sure where to start? Then this lecture is for you.
Join Michelle, Caitlin and Katy for a casual discussion on how to go about creating a Hallowe'en costume for yourself or children. They’ll discuss patterns that are perfect foundations for costumes, what fabrics may work and how to create the unique details for your costume.
You’ll have 30 minutes of private shopping time before the store opens. Each attendee will receive $10 off any purchase they make the day of the lecture, in store only. Not applicable to future class registrations or gift cards, and non-transferable.
Click here to sign up: Sept. 24, 2022 $10 plus HST
Serger Basics 2.0 - Making a Sweatshirt
Are you ready to take your serging skills to the next level? This class will teach you to use your serger to construct a simple sweatshirt with ribbed cuffs and bottom band. The focus of this class is learning serger techniques, and students should have a basic understanding of garment construction.
This class with use the unisex Laurent pattern by Jalie (up to Chest 52", hips 48 7/8"). If you fall outside of the pattern measurements, please contact us so we can arrange a suitable substitute. You can view the pattern here: https://fabricationsottawa.com/products/laurent-t-shirt-pullover-hoodie-2yrs-2xl?_pos=1&_sid=d28c69e7f&_ss=r (the pattern is included in the class fee - you do not need to purchase it).
Prerequisites: Serger Basics 1.0 or you are able to operate your serger without assistance (you can confidently thread your machine and troubleshoot issues).
You will learn:
- how to use your serger to construct a garment including setting in a sleeve and serging a curve
- how to evenly serge a neckband and cuffs
- how to topstitch with the coverstitch (time permitting)
You will need:
- the pattern traced in your size before the start of class
- main fabric suitable for a sweatshirt with at least 15% stretch (fleece or French Terry) up to 3m depending on size
- ribbing for bands up to 0.75m depending on size
- 4 spools of matching serger thread (All fabric and ribbing can be purchased at the store)
Will be provided:
- printed copy of the pattern
The studio has ONE serger available for students.
SERGER NOT INCLUDED
- if you are bringing your OWN serger, please select the ticket type 'Bring your own serger'
- if you need to borrow the one serger we have, please select the ticket type 'Borrow our serger'
WE CANNOT AND DO NOT GUARANTEE that there will be a serger available for you to use if you do not select the appropriate ticket type.
Click here to sign up: October 19, 2022 $95 plus HST