Here you will find a list and description of all of our current Advanced Beginner classes. Scroll down to see all the options and when you see the one you want to take follow the Book Now link to be taken to our Booking site to reserve your spot.
The following prerequisites and class policies apply to all Advanced Beginner Classes. Please familiarize yourself with them. Please refer to each class below for a list of supplies.
- A couple of Beginner classes such as Infinity Scarf, Triangle Scarf, Cocoon Wrap, Envelope Pillow Cover or Pet Bandana
- All fabric and supplies can be purchased in store or provided by yourself. We recommend washing fabric before the start of class.
- Minimum registration for this class is 3 students. Maximum is 6.
Space in our classes is limited, therefore in order to reserve your seat, a 100% non-refundable deposit is required. You may register for a class in person, online, or over the phone (613-854-9091) with a credit card.
There are no refunds for classes. Please note that we reserve the right to postpone and reschedule a class because of unforeseen circumstances. We will make every effort to contact our students to inform them that a class has been cancelled and arrange makeup classes.
Please refer to our Class Policies for more information before scheduling a class.
Advanced Beginner Classes -March & April
Underwear for Kids and Adults! -
In this class you'll learn how to make underwear for men or women! Use up your scraps to make super comfy, customized and colourful underwear. This is the ultimate in 'sew instead of doing laundry' project.
You can purchase the briefs/women's pattern by clicking here.
You can purchase the boxers/men's pattern by clicking here.
You can purchase the kid's pattern by clicking here.
Please bring the printed out and taped together pattern. Each pattern has the option of only printing the size that you need!
- 3/4m of cotton lycra jersey for the body of the underwear (depending on size)
- 1/4m of cotton lycra jersey with at least 5% lycra if you are making the waist and leg bands, can be the same fabric as body (depending on size)
- matching thread as desired
Practical and comfortable, this apron slips on over the head and moves effortlessly with you all day. Whether you are working in the garden, the kitchen, or doing messy crafts and hobbies, this apron will keep you clean. Featuring a cross back and generous pockets, this class will teach you how to read a pattern, select a size, apply bias tape, and top stitching.
The York Apron is only available as a PDF from Helen's Closet. You can purchase the pattern here. We will supply you with a large scale print out. Please bring the instructions with you to class. You should also pre-wash your fabric.
- 1.5m to 2.25m of medium to heavy weight woven fabric such as linen or linen blends, lightweight denim, twill, ticking, canvas or quilting cotton
- 7.5m of premade 1/2inch wide double fold bias tape.
- matching thread if desired.
Oversized Floor Pouf
Make your own floor pouf! This pattern can be a great stash-buster, and it is also a great use of your favourite fat quarters. Stuff it with scraps from other sewing projects, or stuff it with old towels, blankets, or sleeping bags. You'll need approximately two large black garbage bags full of stuffing to fill the pouf! Warning! It will be heavy! Which is great for keeping it in place on the floor.
This two session class will teach you how to insert a zipper, sewing in curved and straight lines, and match up seams to make neat corners and shapes.
- 12 pieces that measure 15inches by 7inches (or 6 or more fat quarters) medium to heavy weight fabric, such as quilting cotton, canvas or denim for the top
- 12 pieces that measure 15inches by 7inches (or 6 or more fat quarters) medium to heavy weight fabric, such as quilting cotton, canvas or denim for the sides
- if using quilting cotton, you will also need 3.5m of medium weight interfacing.
- 0.5m of unbleached muslin or other heavy weight fabric for bottom
- 22inch zipper
- 2m premade piping (optional)
- matching thread if desired
- stuffing: two large garbage bags with fabric scraps, old towels, sleeping bags, blankets etc.
- optional inner bag to contain fabric scraps and make it easier to wash pouf. We suggest an extra large mesh laundry bag, or extra large sleeping bag storage bag. This one from MEC is a good option.
Learn to Quilt: Pluses and Minuses Quilt
Join Vicki and learn the basics of quilting! Accurate and fast cutting, playing with colour and contrast, square seams.
- 24 fat quarters, in pairs of light and dark coordinating shades for the plus signs
- 1 fat quarter for the minus signs
- 1.5m of background and binding fabric
- 2m of backing fabric
- Crib sized batting
- Coordinating thread for top stitching