Here you will find a list and description of all of our current Advanced classes. Scroll down to see all the options and when you see the one you want to take follow the Book Now link to be taken to our Booking site to reserve your spot.
The following prerequisites and class policies apply to all Advanced Classes. Please familiarize yourself with them. Please refer to each class below for a list of required supplies.
- Intermediate Sewing or equivalent +
- Experience successfully completing several sewing projects. This class will not cover basic sewing machine operation such as threading a needle, switching needles, how to adjust stitch length, locking stitches, reverse stitching, pivoting corners, winding bobbins etc. Students should be capable of performing these procedures without assistance.
- All fabric and supplies can be purchased in store or provided by yourself. It is recommended that you launder fabric appropriately before the beginning of class.
- Minimum registration for this class is 3 students. Maximum is 6 students.
Space in our classes is limited, therefore in order to reserve your seat, a 100% non-refundable deposit is required. You may register for a class in person, online, or over the phone (613-854-9091) with a credit card.
There are no refunds for classes. Please note that we reserve the right to postpone and reschedule a class because of unforeseen circumstances. We will make every effort to contact our students to inform them that a class has been cancelled and arrange makeup classes.
Please refer to our Class Policies for more information before scheduling a class.
Advanced Classes - March, April, May
Make your own custom Swimsuit
This class will free you from the ordeal of swimsuit shopping forever! Make your own custom designed, custom fit swimsuit, or make two! In this class, we’ll work together to figure out size and fit, the best way to sew lycra and elastic, and how to achieve the perfect swimsuit.
The Swimsuit Class will use three fantastic swimsuit patterns:
- The Closet Case Patterns Sophie swimsuit
- The Cashmerette Ipswich swimsuit, and
- The Jalie Patterns swimsuit #3350
The Closet Case Pattern's Sophie swimsuit’s curvy seam lines and 3-piece balconette cup is both va-va-voom flattering and reassuringly supportive. The pattern includes two variations: a classic one-piece with a pronounced hourglass shape and skinny elastic straps and a bra-style halter tied top with an elegant high waisted bikini bottom. With a low cut leg and a full cup, both offer sexily modest coverage. Tap into your inner designer by playing with contrast fabric and colour blocking, and learn how to add optional underwires and foam cups to make the most supportive swimsuit ever!
NOTE: The Sophie Swimsuit is only available as a PDF pattern. You can purchase your pattern directly from Closet Case Patterns. Please come to class with proof of purchase and a printout of the instructions. We will provide you with a large-scale print of the pattern.
The Cashmerette Ipswich has two cleverly color-blocked variations: a one-piece swimsuit with a contrast waistband or a high-waisted bikini with piping detail. Both suits feature supportive straps, and an optional underwired foam swim bra and boning, so that you're comfortable lounging by the pool or playing volleyball on your favorite beach. Mix prints and colors for a swimsuit that celebrates your body and your creativity. A tankini expansion pack is also available.
The Jalie #3350 swimsuit has two styles: a sweetheart neckline with lined front, contrast band, and open back with clasp; and a twist-front swimsuit with lined front and closed back. Like all Jalie patterns, the pattern includes 27 sizes from child’s size 2 to women’s 22.
In this class, we’ll work together to figure out size and fit, the best way to sew lycra and elastic, and how to achieve the perfect swimsuit.
In the first class, we will determine everyone’s correct swimsuit size and cup size, which will determine the underwire size you'll need.
Please obtain your pattern before the class:
- If you decide to make the Sophie swimsuit, please bring proof of purchase of the Sophie Swimsuit (https://store.closetcasepatterns.com/products/sophie-swimsuit-pattern) with you and we will provide a wide format printout.
- Cashmerette paper pattern
- Jalie paper pattern
All fabric and notions listed in the pattern EXCEPT underwires (we will determine your correct underwire size during the first class)
For all your supplies, we recommend the local shop: TaggerWear (https://www.taggerwear.com/) at 41 Grenfell Crescent, Unit 3 in Nepean.
Other online suppliers.
- Fabric Depot Co. (http://fabricdepotco.com/)
- Sew Sassy (http://www.sewsassy.com/LycraProducts/swimsuit-fabric.html)
- The Fabric Fairy (https://thefabricfairy.com/fabrics/by-type/swimsuit.html/)
- Spandex House: (https://www.spandexhouse.com/)
Common Bodice Alterations
In this technique class we will cover 12 common bodice and upper arm alterations. Mastering these alterations will allow you to evaluate patterns of your choice, determine which alterations are needed, and perform them with confidence. This class will cover small and full bust, wide and narrow shoulder, forward shoulder, long and short torso, full bicep, full and short arm scythe, and sway back adjustments.
Students won't complete a full finished top in this class, with most of the garment being simply basted in order facilitate fast fitting.
We will use the Colette Sorbetto free downloadable pattern as our template. Please download your copy here.
- 1.75m of muslin or light to medium weight woven fabric
- the free downloaded pattern and printed off pages of Version 3 (with sleeves) with pattern pieces already taped together