Fall Classes September 07 2015 1 Comment
We’re already a week into September. How did that happen?
We have some fantastic sewing classes running through the fall. Sign up and start the season off with a swing in your step!
Learn to Sew
- Sewing Machine Basics – Sept 26, Oct 7
- Express Beginner Sewing: Infinity Scarf – Sept 18 (fully booked!), Oct 1, Oct 18
- Advanced Beginner: Bento Bags – Sept 16 – one of our newer classes
- Serger Basics – Sept 24, Oct 28
- Hintoburg Sewcial Club: Drawsting Bags – Sept 25 (fully booked – check back next month!)
- Sewing 101: Easy Lined Tote Bag – Sept 17, Sept 27, Oct 8, Oct 17, Oct 29
- Sewing 102: Easy Zippered Pillow – Sept 8, Sept 19, Oct 16, Oct 24
- Sewing 202: Zippered Pouch – Oct 2
- Alterations and Repairs Workshop – Sept 10 – bring in something you need to alter or repair, and work on it with the help of our skilled teachers
- (NEW) Dressmaking with Knits or Woven Fabrics: Myrtle Dress – Oct 5, 19, 26 (3 evenings)
- Men’s Tie Class – Oct 22 – get a head start on seasonal gifts!
- Sewing for Toddlers & Kids: Mini Hudson Pants – Sept 14, 21, 28 (3 evenings)
- Sewing 201: Pyjama Pants – Oct 14, 21 (2 evenings)
- Sewing 303: Leggings (Espresso Leggings) – Sept 23, 30 (2 evenings)
- Beginner Quilting: ‘Plus’ Quilt – Oct 6, 13, 20, 27 (4 evenings)
- Block of the Month: Fly Away – Sept 15
- Introduction to Hand Applique – Nov 7
Classes for Children
- Children’s Class: Pillow Case – Sept 12 (fully booked), Oct 3
- Children’s Class: Easy Lined Tote Bag – Sept 20 (fully booked), Oct 10
Not sure which class would be right for you? Drop us a line and we'll help you choose one!
New fabrics and fall class offerings August 20 2014
As many of you know, we'll be moving a little further west on Somerset Street in the fall. We've been busy there 24/7 getting our new digs ready. So excited for the big reveal and we can't wait to share the new space with everyone!
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, life goes on and we've got a lot going on!
Over the past few weeks, loads of new fabrics came through the door, including Nani Iro and Echino, Art Gallery (flowy voiles!), The Long Thread, April Rhodes Arizona collection and Japanese cotton sateens.
Like to see more? Come by the store (some of the new fabrics aren't on line just yet!). Or, let your fingers wander on over to our Instagram (fabricationsott) to lose an hour of your day imagining what you'll be making from these beauties!
To go with all these new fabrics, we've got a batch of great evening classes in late August and throughout September -- a great time of year to get a few sewing projects started!
For absolute beginners, start here:
- Sewing Machine Basics: Simple Fabric Bunting Banner - a one-night class that gives you all the basics and you leave with a great finished project. It runs four times in the next few weeks - Aug 27th, Sept 2nd, 8th and 26th.
- Express Beginner Class: Infinity Scarf (1 night - Sept 24) - learn the basics of using a sewing machine, and walk away with a great accessory for the fall.
- Once you've got the basics down, the world is your oyster!
For beginners or those getting back into sewing after an extended 'vacation', looking for simple but interesting project, try these:
- Sewing 101: Easy Lined Tote (1 night - Sept 12th) - learn the basics and start making different sizes on your own.
- Sewing 102: Easy Zippered Pillow (1 night - Aug 22, Sept 5th and 15th) - a little zipper therapy goes a long way. Enough said.
- Sewing 103: Baker's Apron (1 night - Sept 9th) - we use a unisex pattern, so you can make a manly-man BBQ apron, or something a little more feminine.
- Sewing 104: Japanese Hip Wrap (1 night - Aug 29th) - have you seen these things? Great over leggings or skinny jeans, and so easy to make. And... did we mention we like having a few drinks at this class and make it a bit of a social night? What more can you ask for in a sewing class?
For intermediate sewists, looking to tick off a few boxes in the 'new skills' department? Learn how to hem pants, install an elastic waist band, sew some curves and start using some of your beloved stash!
- Sewing 201: Pyjama Pants (2 nights - Sept 18th and 25th) - basic pant pattern, elastic waist band, hems
- Sewing 202: Zippered Pouch (1 night - Aug 29th and Sept 22nd) - zippers, curves and using different weight woven fabrics
- Beginner Garment Making: Rae Skirt (2 nights - Sept 16th & 23th) - sewing with a pattern, vertical seams, elastic casing
- Crib Sheet (1 night - Sept 11th) super quick and makes a great gift for friends with wee folk!
For advanced sewists, this is where the rubber hits the road! Our advanced classes take on more complex sewing patterns and techniques. Usually 3-4 nights over a few weeks, giving you the chance to soak up all that you can from our skilled teachers. Learn tricks for fitting garments to flatter your own body, different hem lengths, shirring and sewing with woven and kit fabrics.
- Sewing 302: Dressmaking / Washi Dress (3 nights - Sept 3, 10 & 17) - one of the most fun and versatile independent dress patterns to hit the market in years. Look no further than the Rae Made Me Do It flickr group for a little inspiration.
Look forward to seeing you at the shop!
A few of our favourite things! July 18 2014 1 Comment
We've got a few updates to share, in no particular order, so here we go!
- Cotton + Steel: First and foremost, thank you to all who joined us for the Cotton + Steel shopping party on Monday night! It was a frenzied night of cutting beautiful fabric, sipping a little wine, chatting and plotting about who'll be the first in town to wear their lions and cats. The whole fabric line is now available through our online shop, so out-of-towners, knock yourselves out! It was such fun to see everyone on Monday and to catch up on summer sewing projects. Let's do it again soon, and in the meantime don't forget to post your photos to our Flickr page. We love seeing what you are making (or just lovely stacks of fabric)!
- Kids Clothes Week (KCW): Who's up for a little sewing challenge? KCW kicks off its summer season on Monday, running July 21 to 27. Hosted by Meg Freeman of the always inspiring ElsieMarley blog, this is a quarterly challenge to sew for one hour a day for seven days. Recently, Meg posted a great little explainer on the Oliver+S blog talking about this season's theme, Kid Art. A few of us from the shop are going to try it out and see how we do. Our aim is to get some projects completed, but not worry too much about the Kid Art theme. So, why don't you join us? Sign up to the KCW Community, post your photos in the Fabrications and KCW Flickr Groups, and leave a comment below to let us know you're in! Can't wait to see what Ottawa's sewists make!
- Nani Iro Month: Yes, you read that correctly, Nani Iro month. And yes, we all missed it. How does that happen? Well, to make up for missing an entire month of Nani Iro gorgessity, we've got a little project to show you in the next few days. We'll squeeze it in amongst our KCW posts. Deal? Deal. In the meantime, check out the breath-taking beauty we all missed in June. Inhale. Exhale.
- July's sewing classes: They're all now in full swing, including classes for kids and adult sewists alike. For kids, we've got a few spaces left in the Pencil Roll class - just a single morning and students come away with a finished project to show their friends! For grown ups, there are a couple of spots left in the Pyjama Pants, Easy Lined Tote Bag, Zippered Pouch and Simple Fabric Bunting classes. Don't forget, a sewing class makes a great gift for a friend who's always wanted to learn to sew!
Look out for our posts next week about our KCW projects!