Fall Classes September 07 2015 1 Comment
We’re already a week into September. How did that happen?
We have some fantastic sewing classes running through the fall. Sign up and start the season off with a swing in your step!
Learn to Sew
- Sewing Machine Basics – Sept 26, Oct 7
- Express Beginner Sewing: Infinity Scarf – Sept 18 (fully booked!), Oct 1, Oct 18
- Advanced Beginner: Bento Bags – Sept 16 – one of our newer classes
- Serger Basics – Sept 24, Oct 28
- Hintoburg Sewcial Club: Drawsting Bags – Sept 25 (fully booked – check back next month!)
- Sewing 101: Easy Lined Tote Bag – Sept 17, Sept 27, Oct 8, Oct 17, Oct 29
- Sewing 102: Easy Zippered Pillow – Sept 8, Sept 19, Oct 16, Oct 24
- Sewing 202: Zippered Pouch – Oct 2
- Alterations and Repairs Workshop – Sept 10 – bring in something you need to alter or repair, and work on it with the help of our skilled teachers
- (NEW) Dressmaking with Knits or Woven Fabrics: Myrtle Dress – Oct 5, 19, 26 (3 evenings)
- Men’s Tie Class – Oct 22 – get a head start on seasonal gifts!
- Sewing for Toddlers & Kids: Mini Hudson Pants – Sept 14, 21, 28 (3 evenings)
- Sewing 201: Pyjama Pants – Oct 14, 21 (2 evenings)
- Sewing 303: Leggings (Espresso Leggings) – Sept 23, 30 (2 evenings)
- Beginner Quilting: ‘Plus’ Quilt – Oct 6, 13, 20, 27 (4 evenings)
- Block of the Month: Fly Away – Sept 15
- Introduction to Hand Applique – Nov 7
Classes for Children
- Children’s Class: Pillow Case – Sept 12 (fully booked), Oct 3
- Children’s Class: Easy Lined Tote Bag – Sept 20 (fully booked), Oct 10
Not sure which class would be right for you? Drop us a line and we'll help you choose one!
A few of our favourite things! July 18 2014 1 Comment
We've got a few updates to share, in no particular order, so here we go!
- Cotton + Steel: First and foremost, thank you to all who joined us for the Cotton + Steel shopping party on Monday night! It was a frenzied night of cutting beautiful fabric, sipping a little wine, chatting and plotting about who'll be the first in town to wear their lions and cats. The whole fabric line is now available through our online shop, so out-of-towners, knock yourselves out! It was such fun to see everyone on Monday and to catch up on summer sewing projects. Let's do it again soon, and in the meantime don't forget to post your photos to our Flickr page. We love seeing what you are making (or just lovely stacks of fabric)!
- Kids Clothes Week (KCW): Who's up for a little sewing challenge? KCW kicks off its summer season on Monday, running July 21 to 27. Hosted by Meg Freeman of the always inspiring ElsieMarley blog, this is a quarterly challenge to sew for one hour a day for seven days. Recently, Meg posted a great little explainer on the Oliver+S blog talking about this season's theme, Kid Art. A few of us from the shop are going to try it out and see how we do. Our aim is to get some projects completed, but not worry too much about the Kid Art theme. So, why don't you join us? Sign up to the KCW Community, post your photos in the Fabrications and KCW Flickr Groups, and leave a comment below to let us know you're in! Can't wait to see what Ottawa's sewists make!
- Nani Iro Month: Yes, you read that correctly, Nani Iro month. And yes, we all missed it. How does that happen? Well, to make up for missing an entire month of Nani Iro gorgessity, we've got a little project to show you in the next few days. We'll squeeze it in amongst our KCW posts. Deal? Deal. In the meantime, check out the breath-taking beauty we all missed in June. Inhale. Exhale.
- July's sewing classes: They're all now in full swing, including classes for kids and adult sewists alike. For kids, we've got a few spaces left in the Pencil Roll class - just a single morning and students come away with a finished project to show their friends! For grown ups, there are a couple of spots left in the Pyjama Pants, Easy Lined Tote Bag, Zippered Pouch and Simple Fabric Bunting classes. Don't forget, a sewing class makes a great gift for a friend who's always wanted to learn to sew!
Look out for our posts next week about our KCW projects!